In this edition:
- Strut Christmas Dinner Photos
- January Meeting: Talk from Ed Bellamy of the CAA
- Notice of Wessex Strut Fly-in: Henstridge Sunday 23rd April 2017
- Save Wellesbourne Airfield From Demolition – Petition
Strut Christmas Dinner Photos
Click the photo to enlarge
January Meeting: Talk from Ed Bellamy of the CAA
The Strut meeting on 4th January had a talk from a talk from the Ed Bellamy, General Aviation Adviser at the CAA about developing GA regulation. Ed describes his roll at the CAA as:
Providing strategic and policy input into the CAA’s General Aviation Programme, including managing the output of the various related projects. Principally the review of the Air Navigation Order 2009 (ANO) which aims to deliver a simpler, lighter and better ANO in 2016 and form a sustainable legal basis for the future regulation of GA in the UK.
The list of topics scheduled for him to cover was quite extensive:
On a National level
- ANO 2016
- Pilot medical declaration
- SSAC flights
- Experimental Category
- 300kg SSDR
- A8-26 approvals
- Permit IFR
- Gyroplane CofA and CPL
- Training in group owned permit aircraft
- Charity flights
- Overall approach to GA
- Self-declared maintenance programme and Part-M Light
- Declared’ Training Organisations Opinion
- NPA on ‘Basic’ Instrument Rating
- Review of balloons and gliders ops/licence rules
- Collaborative analysis of infringements
- Electronic conspicuity – technical standards CAP produced
- EU funding awarded for equipage of 8.33 radios
Air Navigation Order 2016
- Into force 25th August this year
- Means by which areas of aviation not covered by the equivalent European rules are regulated
- non-EASA’ aircraft – as described in Annex II to Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 (the ‘Basic Regulation’)
- Limited relevance to most operations with EASA aircraft – they comply with relevant EASA rules, Part-NCO etc.
By my count, he pretty much covered that lot plus. One particularly interesting upcoming development is the introduction of a Skyway Code as a simple guide to the rules and guidance of day to day flying. With all the changes, that could be a valuable addition to your kit bag.
Wessex Strut Fly-in: Henstridge Sunday 23rd April 2017
Please refer to our website www.wessex.strut.org.uk nearer the time for joining details and circuit patterns. You will need to get a code from the website before you leave home, and quote it when first calling up the airfield please. The airfield will be closed from 1.00 – 2.00pm so that spectators and pilots can walk around the visiting aeroplanes, so please keep this in mind.
Save Wellesbourne Airfield From Demolition
There is a petition to Stratford District Council and the owners, the Littler family at: https://www.change.org/p/stratford-district-council-save-welllesbourne-airfield-from-demolition
For the latest list of events, go to the Events page on the Strut website.
Please suggest/volunteer to organize some more.